SLATE or Simple Learning Activities to Think and Empower is a unique Multisensory, Activity Based Bridge programme developed by a Pedagogy expert, Author and Educationist Vaishali Gupta. It is a 40 week programme that empowers children with Foundational Literacy, Numeracy and thinking skills with a basic understanding of Innovation and Design Thinking. It is a competency based learning programme which also takes care of the well being of children. Through this unique programme even out of school children are building awareness around the Sustainable Development Goals of UN, to instill Global Citizenship.
SLATE Bridging Learning Gaps
- Helping Out of school children fall in love with learning and reach a point where they are ready for school
- Making Quality Education accessible to all
- Foundational Literacy for All
- Align activities with the Sustainable Development Goals of United Nations.
- Teacher Training for Activity Based Learning
- Updated Curricular Material for Competency based 21st Century Learning
Who is SLATE For?
- Out of School Children
- School dropouts
- Children from slums and disadvantaged communities
- First Generation Learners
Key Features of SLATE
SLATE prepares children to give Key Stage Assessment in Grade 3
- Holistic Development: in the physical, cognitive, social and emotional, creative and spiritual domains
- Competency based
- NCF 2022 aligned
- Children ‘Learn how to Learn’ in a contextual and realistic manner.
- Foundational Literacy happens in a holistic and experiential manner.
- Learning is child centric, fun and authentic
- Builds scientific temperament
- Innovation through integrated STEAM activities.
Key Areas addressed in SLATE as per the Foundational Levels of NCF 2022
- Language LOs in First Language
- Language LOs in Second Language
- Environmental awareness
- Values and Life skills
- Character building
- SDG Awareness
- Social Emotional Learning
- Health and Wellness
- Critical thinking
- Problem solving and Innovation
- Self-awareness and identity
Key Teaching methodologies Used in SLATE
- Story- telling and Re-telling
- Art integrated Activities
- Indoor Games
- Outdoor Games
- Meditation and Mindfulness
- Flash Cards
- Songs and Movies
- Hands-on Experiential activities
- Low-cost teaching and learning aids
- Parental activity booklets
- Baseline test and regular Assessments at week 10, week 20, week 30 and week 39
- 2 Live Q and A Webinars per year
- 20+ Videos for understanding how to implement new Methodologies
Pilot Run and Impact study of SLATE
- SLATE was Pilot Project run in 2020-2021 by SADRAG (an NGO based in Noida, Uttar Pradesh) in their Noida and Greater Noida Centres where huge positive impacts were seen in children of migrant communities by SLATE.
- SLATE has since then established its ground in all three ( Nagla, Nithari and Tugalpur) centres of SADRAG.
- Since 2022 SLATE has also been adopted by ‘Smile for All’ ( an NGO based in Jaipur, Rajasthan) empowering thousands of children in diverse regions like Jaipur, Tonk, Giridhi, Jamshedpur, West Bengal, Saharanpur etc.
- The impact of the Jaipur slum was also featured by Rajasthan Patrika on 17th December 2022.
- Today SLATE is successfully running in 5 NGOs with centres all across India and has impacted lives of more than 10,000 children so far.
What does each package of SLATE consist of ?
- A set of 5 Workbooks with daily worksheets per child
- A set of 3 Board games for the centres that are a part of the learning pedagogy
- A set of 100 counting sticks per child
- Webinars and online Teacher Training workshops that provide additional support for effective dissemination
- The teachers are given a dashboard where they get exhaustive daily lesson plans
- Teacher training videos on Methodologies and their s
- Q and A sessions conducted online to mitigate challenges faced while dealing with children
- Home learning tips for parents available for teachers on their dashboard, to help rural parents extend learning at home through simple things around them
- Self Development activities for teachers available on their dashboard. This is based on the premise beautifully stated by Tom Loud “The most important instructional resource will always be the teacher.” And we firmly believe that to Build a nation, we need to Build the Teachers. Only a happy and Empowered teacher will be able to nurture happiness and provide empowerment to children.
- Helping Teachers build an ecosystem of reflections, through simple activities available to them on their dashboard.